St. Ann’s Warehouse has a small staff with great ambitions, and we rely on assistance from a team of talented, dedicated volunteers and interns.
The Director of Individual Giving is a key member of the Development team at St. Ann’s Warehouse, a mid size, international arts organization, located in DUMBO, Brooklyn. The Director of Individual Giving joins St. Ann’s at a time of major growth and transition, as the organization completes a $31m Capital Campaign and establishes a permanent home in its new building on the Brooklyn Waterfront, which opens this fall. The Director of Individual Giving, who reports to the Executive Director, is responsible for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts and shepherding a growing “Inside Circle” giving program for individual donors.
In the last three years, St. Ann’s Warehouse has diversified its funding base, and it is the responsibility of the Director of Individual Giving to identify and develop new sources of individual support for capital projects, productions and programming initiatives, potential Board candidacy, and event underwriting. The Director of Individual Giving will inherit a growing portfolio of individual donors at a time when St Ann’s annual budget will increase by over $1.5M. St. Ann’s Warehouse is seeking an outgoing, creative and accomplished individual to expand on this growth at an extraordinarily opportune and exciting moment in St. Ann’s history.
· With Artistic, Executive and External Affairs Directors, planning and implementing a development plan and strategy for the Inside Circle, Major Gifts, and Production support for the fiscal year;
· Actively developing relationships with new donors and soliciting entry-level gifts of $1,800 and above for the Inside Circle;
· Identifying and managing Major Gifts donors and candidates;
· Aggressively cultivating and engaging the Brooklyn tech and new media communities;
· Overseeing and stewarding Members above the $500 level in conjunction with Membership, and cultivating potential Major Gifts and Inside Circle donors from this group;
· Tracking all $500 gifts and above, sending out monthly solicitation and renewal materials and following up with current donors for the Annual, Board, and Capital funds;
· Managing financial reporting pertaining to all Individuals, including Board, Inside Circle, Capital and Production support, and reconciling all gifts with the Finance Department;
· Preparing acknowledgement letters for all gifts for the Annual, Board and Capital funds from the $500 level and above.
· Stewarding services to individual donors including arranging performance tickets and greeting donors at St. Ann’s productions and cultivation events as required;
· Conducting prospect research and preparing individual giving profiles;
· Planning, coordinating and executing annual appeals (both mailed and digital) including the end of year and strategic campaigns surrounding season or project-specific initiatives;
· Identifying, interviewing, training, and managing Development interns.
Responsible for planning and implementing the St. Ann’s Annual Gala, currently for over 500 people, including:
· With Artistic and Executive Directors and senior staff, planning and directing all aspects of the Gala from invitations to décor to catering, rentals, program and signage, front of house, ushers and security;
· Coordinating with Production and Facilities staff that all aspects of the Gala are operating smoothly and troubleshooting potential issues;
· Leading and coordinating with St. Ann’s Board, Honorees, and Gala Committee members their individual appeals to potential guests and donors and, where appropriate, soliciting gifts on their behalf;
· Soliciting additional Gala Committee members, table, ticket buyers and contributors from the St. Ann’s individual giving pool;
· With Artistic and Executive Directors, Board and Honorees, seating all Gala tables and Gala ticket-buyers/guests;
· Acknowledgements plus record-keeping for all Board, Honoree, and individual guests;
· Coordinating and implementing follow up strategies and cultivation for all Gala Chairs and guests;
· Keeping excellent records of all aspects of the Gala for future planning.
Responsible for planning and implementing approximately 15 events per year, from Opening Night parties (400+ people) to Inside Circle events at local restaurants (25-40 people) to intimate artist receptions in private homes (20-40 people).
· Planning and problem-solving skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and the ability to work and collaborate as part of a team;
· A proven track record soliciting and securing major gifts and/or Board development;
· Bachelor’s Degree with a Masters in an arts administration field preferred;
· Minimum of five years’ hands on experience with fundraising and donor relations in the performing arts field;
· Excellent personal and written communication skills and a sense of humor;
· A working knowledge of New York City philanthropy;
· Knowledge of all Microsoft Office programs and Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge or similar donor-management databases.
DOWNLOAD JOB DESCRIPTION (PDF) >>
At this time, we do not anticipate needing volunteer ushers for the remainder of the 2014-15 season.
Interns who work with the Production Management staff will receive hands-on experience in carpentry, rigging, lighting and sound engineering, with a focus on execution and design. Interns also have the opportunity to work as members of the production crew and house staff. Hours will vary with the production schedule.
Interns are needed to assist St. Ann’s busy office with producing and promoting international and multi-disciplinary presentations. Administrative interns will work closely with marketing and development staff and assist with general office work as needed. Duties will be focused primarily on marketing, distribution, and database maintenance using Raiser’s Edge, a leading non-profit development software. Computer proficiency is a must. Interns may also assist with audience services and gala opening night events.
Interns assist in the promotion of St. Ann’s Warehouse events and performances. Duties include production and distribution of promotional materials, mailing list and website maintenance. Computer proficiency is a must.
Like all not-for-profit organizations, St. Ann’s Warehouse is dependent upon financial support from a wide variety of foundations, corporations and individuals. Intern duties include research, grant-writing, special events, and donor database maintenance. Applicants should have excellent writing skills and be computer proficient.